Kingdom of God – Hidden Treasure
SR High Youth – September 23
Matthew 13:44–46 (HCSB)
44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure, buried in a field, that a man found and reburied. Then in his joy he goes and sells everything he has and buys that field. 45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls. 46 When he found one priceless pearl, he went and sold everything he had, and bought it.
- What is the Kingdom of God?
- Its like living in a foreign country as a poor orphan, and finding out one day that the King has adopted you. Everything changes, but its still the same country.
- Story 1 – The Common Man finds a treasure, and sells everything for it.
- Story 2 – The rich pearl merchant finds a pearl of great price, and sells everything for it.
- 2 Takeaways – FOUND a treasure, TRANSFORMED their current reality
- Treasure – What are the valuable things in your life? (and how do they form your current reality)
- The Great Exchange – are you “sold out” to God in exchange for the Kingdom
- The Pearl of Great Price – (Kingdom of God) Only Jesus Can afford the price
- Retell the parable of the hidden treasure in a modern day setting.
- Retell the parable of the pearl of great price in a modern day setting.
- Come up with a group definition for “treasure” as it relates to priorities in life.
- What are the three most influential “treasures” in your life?
- Does your understanding/experience of the “Kingdom of God” make it more valuable than all of your other treasures combined? (Why or Why Not?)
Practice giving up one “treasure” for a 24 hour period, so that you can focus on God.